EDUCATIONMotuihe Island has something for everyone - beautiful safe beaches, superb old forest area, geology, wildlife, history and now it is being ecologically restored.
30 minutes by ferry from Downtown Auckland, Motuihe Island provides an excellent educational environment for students (from primary school through to University Masters Degree), teachers and university tutors in areas such as:
- coastal shore studies,
- rare native birdlife (dotterals, oyster catchers, saddlebacks, kakariki, Little Spotted Kiwi etc. - habitat, interaction with other birds)
- geology with its limestone rock,
- maori pas and midden sites,
- naval cadet training base,
- German prisoner of war history,
- Spanish flu quarantine
- Animal quarantine station,
- children's health camp
- and farming up until 2005.
The island is undergoing a tremendous change with native forest being restored and native birds being re-introduced.
School visits are welcomed. If Motuihe Project can assist you please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org