Purchase of the island from Maori plus early farmers
William Fairburn purchased Motuihe in 1839 from William Jowett, Ko Nuki and Te Manago: chiefs of Te Iwi Tutu, Te Ngatitai and Ngatiwaki respectively. They paid one heifer, twenty blankets, ten axes, ten hoes, ten spades, six gowns, two red blankets, 12 dutch pipes, six iron pots and one shawl.
Copy of Deed: "Know all men who shall see these documents that we (viz.) William Jowett of Te Iwi Tutu a native chief, Ko Nuku of Te Nga tai, a native chief, and Te Manago of Ngatiwaki also a native chief, have parted with and alienated for ever that Island known by the name of Motuihe with all things either above or below appertaining to the before named land (which Island is situated in the channel running into Waitemata) to Mr. Fairburn and to his children to cultivate, to sell, or to dispose of in any way he pleases for ever. On the Eastern side of the above named Island stands Waiheke, on the northern Motutapu, on the Western Motukorea, and in the centre of these islands stands Motuihe. Payment for the said Motuihe (viz.); one heifer, twenty blankets, ten axes, ten hoes, ten spades, six gowns, two red blankets, twelve Dutch pipes, six n pots, and one shawl. See our marks written on the fifth day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty-nine, New Zealand. These are the witnesses. Henry lor, Ko Hemi Pepene, Hoani Pepeni, Rawiri, 'rama ti, Ko William Jowett. The mark x Nuku The mark x Manako"
William Fairburn, missionary and lay preacher who came to New Zealand in 1819 as a carpenter to assist Rev Samuel Marsden. Photo sourced from Grey's Folly by Alan La Roche with the permission of the author.
Fairburn established the Church Missionary Society Mission at Maraetai, and had extensive landholdings: at one stage he owned 40,000 acres stretching from the Tamaki River to the Wairoa River (the former flowing into the Waitemata between Saint Heliers and Bucklands Beach, and the latter running northeast from the south end of the Hunua Ranges).
The following year he sold the island to Henry Tayler, who bought it with the assistance of a Crown Grant for 200 pounds. In 1843 the land was on sold to William Brown and John Logan Campbell for 220 pounds. John Campbell is regarded as one of the founders of Auckland, most famous for gifting Cornwall Park to the city: note the memorial fountain located at the intersection of Manukau Road and Puriri Drive (the drive running through the park). Brown is notable for Brown’s island (Motukorea), which is one of only two maunga in the Auckland Volcanic Field never to have been mined. This island is where Brown and Campbell originally stayed after travelling from the Coromandel, and where they resided while negotiating the purchase of the land which is now Auckland.